[Netkit.users] Netkit wishlist

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Sat Dec 6 18:44:30 CET 2008

Dear Vsevolod,

thank you for sharing with us these wishes based on your precious
experience!
Answers follow inline.

> 0. Bugtracker, please?

Planned, as stated in a previous announcement mail.

> 1. Please replace 'su' with 'sudo' when creating tap device. I have
> allowed sudo for this script for students; 'su' comes from stone age
> and causes big problems.
> sudo $NETKIT_HOME/bin/manage_tuntap stop

Scheduled for the next release.

> 2. Please create tun for OpenVPN in default FS.
> mkdir /dev/net; mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200

Accomplished in the just-published release.

> 3. Can Quagga detect started interface without restarting ripd? Is it
> a Auagga's problem?

I still have to investigate into this, but may be a Quagga problem.

> 4. Is it possible to create fixed MAC addresses without 'hwaddr
> ether ...' in '/etc/network/interfaces'? Creating MAC from interface
> number and part of md5 of machine name will be great.

Accomplished in the just-published release.

> 5. Please make exim4 to listen 0.0.0.0 by default instead of
> 127.0.0.1.

Accomplished in the just-published release.

> 6. Adding power dns packages to default FS should be nice.
> pdns-recursor is much easy to set up.

Accomplished in the just-published release.

> 7. Having '/bin/cat' or 'bin/date' xinet.d service  for testing TCP
> conection to arbitrary port could be useful. It requires xinetd
> (listen on 0.0.0.0) and following '/etc/xinetd.d/test':
> service test {
>         disable         = no
>         type            = UNLISTED
>         socket_type     = stream
>         protocol        = tcp
>         port            = 10000 # port to test
>         wait            = no
>         user            = nobody
>         server          = /bin/cat
> }

I think the inetd daemon that is currently provided, and the related
basic services, are likely enough for this purpose. However, we will
consider it in future releases.

> During this term I have found only known bugs in current netkit:
>
> 1. Quagga does not restart correctly (one line changed and four
> removed in /etc/init.d/quagga)

Fixed in the just-published release.

> 2. Problem with tap (patch exists).

Fix is coming in the next release of the Netkit core.

Regards,
Massimo.