[Netkit.users] Multiple TAP interfaces

Gareth Lapworth glapworth at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Sep 21 21:31:42 CEST 2011

Dear All,

I was wondering if there was a simple way to enable multiple tap
interfaces, i.e. three VMs, each with a single tap?  I have looked at
the code and noticed that the tap devices are created as nk_tap_
$USERNAME.

I am going to assume the answer to my question is no at the moment since
I am not sure how the different VMs are going know which tap interface
belongs to it.  However, I would welcome some discussion about how this
could be achieved (through a different naming convention or something
similar).

If I can tap out with individual machines then I won't need to use the
UML_SWITCH and I can then replace it with VLANs using OpenVSwitch.  Does
anybody have any alternative ideas as to how this could be achieved?

Thanks for your help,
Gareth