[Netkit.users] Too many netkit machines?

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Fri Mar 18 14:29:58 CET 2011

Dear Gareth,

the issue you are reporting seems quite strange. There should be no hard
limit apart from computational resources. On the other hand, I could
only just start 45 virtual machines (with a "factory configuration") on
a Core 2 Quad with 4GB of RAM without any problems.

Here is a first checklist of things that come into my mind:
- disable exec-shield (|sysctl -w kernel.exec-shield=0);|
- check for messages from the host kernel; some actions (e.g.
out-of-memory killing) are undertaken without the user being notified;
- check how many running processes/threads you have (unlikely to happen,
but you might be running out of PIDs);
- check that you can launch multiple (by "multiple" I mean "really
many") instances of the terminal emulator you are using; a crashing
terminal emulator could be another cause for apparently inexplicable
virtual machine aborts.

Regards,
Massimo.