[Netkit.users] Wake-On-LAN in Netkit

Adrian van Dongen adrianvandongen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 16:28:28 CEST 2010

Hi Emanuele,

I dont think that is possible because Wake-On-Lan (WOL) is a hardware based
feature. Your motherboard/nic does the handling of the magic packet used for
WOL, so there is no OS required. If you shut your nic in your virtual
machine (netkit) you simply do not receive any packets. There is no hardware
listening to handle the magic packet. In the case of WOL it actually doesn't
do anything with the nic, the motherboard just receives the packet and
returns itself from standy modus. As far as i know Netkit does not support
something like standby modus (Correct me if i am wrong Massimo)

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Regards,

Adrian.