[Netkit.users] hostfs problems in fat-client

Alessandro Dentella sandro at e-den.it
Thu Mar 11 14:08:41 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to get working a setup in which several machines are fed a
fat-client kernel from an ltsp ubuntu server, i.e. clients that don't even
use local hard drive, get from dhcp kerel and contnue the boot using a
network mounted root filesystem

I want to use this setup to let a whole class of shool admin to practice in
a lab where no desktop linux distro are available.

I'm *sure* I saw it working correctly some days ago but right now I have a
problem: in netkit-pahase1, mounting /hostlab (and /hosthome) leads
to a situation in which an 'ls /hostlab' just hangs the netkit machine.

Note that mount command exists with exit code 0

I'm convinced that thare's nothing wrong in the host machine becouse when I
tried some days ago I already had a situation in which sometimes I coud get
a normal boot and someties I had the boot failure due to netkit-pahase1
hanging, but at that time I didn't understand it was hostfs responsability
and I didn't put enought attention in what made the difference...

any hint is very appreciated

thanks
sandro
*:-)