[Netkit.users] hostfs problems in fat-client

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Thu Mar 11 16:14:06 CET 2010

Dear Alessandro,

I don't see anything wrong with your setup but must admit that it is a
bit unusual.
All I can do for the moment is to suggest you to dig further into the
problem by considering the following hints:

    * host filesystem type (ok, it's networked, but what kind of FS?
      Maybe there are permission/bandwidth issues? Is there abnormal
      network activity when the hang occurs?)
    * potential bugs in the hostfs implementation in the kernel shipped
      with Netkit (there shouldn't be any, but some have been reported
      in the past with a behavior similar to the one you are reporting)
    * messages logged by host and guest kernels on hang (you can run a
      tail -f /var/log/messages in background in the guest to capture
      these messages, provided that the kernel is still alive during the
      hang; maybe starting the machines with the --verbose option also
      helps)

Cheers,
Massimo.