[Netkit.users] switching services on & off

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Fri Apr 23 15:54:31 CEST 2010

Dear Alessandro,

> Hi,
>
> I really appreciate very much netkit. I use it even for single
> machines,
> when I whant to make clear which is the peculiar configuration neede
> for a
> certain setup.

We are happy to hear that you can take advantage of our system!

> What I think is missing is the ability to swicth services off *before*
> thy're started. It's very easy to switch them off in the
> hostname.startup script, but I'd like to be able to prevent them from
> starting at all.
>
> Before I patch netkit-phase1 in order to do that i'd like to know if
> there
> is already some way that I have not found out.

Well, I'm afraid there is not much you can do earlier than netkit-phase1.
There are a couple of Netkit-related scripts inside /etc/rcS.d, but they are
only used for very basic operation and you cannot exploit them to alter
early-boot-time services.
Also, netkit-phase1 itself is responsible for basic VM setup (configuring
the name, mounting filesystem directories, setting other filesystem related
options, etc.), therefore you may hardly achieve your goal by just fiddling
with it.

Maybe the best way would be to manually move away (or postpone) scripts from
/etc/rcS.d and disable other applicable services using the standard
"update-rc.d" tool.

By the way, given that bare VMs start a very minimal set of services, which
ones would you like to get rid of?

> thanks very much

Happy to help :-)
Massimo.