[Netkit.users] openflow on netkit

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Mon Nov 23 12:08:57 CET 2009

Dear Ashish,

the most realistic answer I can provide as of now is: "maybe".

I have been performing a quick test, and OpenFlow modules seem to
compile fine against Netkit kernel. However, a full install would
require the following steps:
1) Get a source package for the same release of the kernel as the one
used in Netkit (currently 2.6.26.5).
2) Patch it with Netkit patches (provided in the kernel package).
3) Configure OpenFlow to compile against Netkit kernel sources and build
OpenFlow passing the arguments "ARCH=um SUBARCH=i386" to the make
invocation.
4) Install OpenFlow kernel modules and userspace tools into the Netkit
filesystem. As for the userspace tools, this should be doable by
pointing argument "--prefix=" to a loopback-mounted Netkit filesystem
image when configuring OpenFlow. Installation of the kernel modules is
probably more difficult to redirect to the right location, because a
default of "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/" is generally assumed.

If everything went fine up to this point, you can follow the Debian
Install instructions to perform tests and start using OpenFlow:
http://openflowswitch.org/wk/index.php?title=Debian_Install

I'm not sure whether OpenFlow is bound to Zebra but, if it actually is,
this may not be a problem since the Quagga shipped with Netkit derives
from Zebra.

Regards,
Massimo.