[Netkit.users] Troubles wih Quagga/RIP

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Thu Oct 23 14:41:11 CEST 2008

Dear Vsevolod,

no, there is no bug tracker. At present email is the main resource for
reporting bugs. Probably in the future we will publish a list of known
bugs, but this has yet to come.

Regardless of the bug management system, discussing issues in using
Netkit is never a waste of time. That's one of the main reasons why the
mailing list is in place! :-)

Regards,
Massimo.

Vsevolod Krishchenko wrote:
> Thank you, Massimo.
>
> Anyway, students used to just kill it :)
>
> Is there a public bugtracker to avoid wasting your time asking old question?
>
> On Wednesday 22 October 2008 11:51:54 Massimo Rimondini wrote:
>

>> Dear Vsevolod,
>>
>> we are aware of this bug. The reason why it is still there is that we
>> are working on a new release that also involves the core and the kernel,
>> and this consumes most of the (limited) development time.
>>
>> A fix to this will be available in the next version of the filesystem
>> image. In the meantime, you can work this around by proceeding as follows.
>> - Start a virtual machine that permanently writes on the filesystem image:
>> vstart vm -W -m 64
>> - Inside the virtual machine, edit the file /etc/init.d/quagga (or
>> zebra, they are just the same file) and change line 24 ('echo
>> "/var/run/quagga/$1.pid"') into 'echo "/var/$1.pid"'.
>> - Gracefully shut down the virtual machine by typing 'halt' inside it.
>>
>> This should solve your problem.
>>
>> Sorry for the inconvenience and please feel free to come back if you
>> experience further issues.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Massimo.
>>
>> Vsevolod Krishchenko wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I tried Netkit (and UML) for the first time today. They are great, but
>>> I got some problems with quagga.
>>>
>>> 1. How to stop it? '/etc/init.d/zebra stop' does not work:
>>>
>>> r1:~# ps -A | egrep '(ripd|zebra)'
>>>   479 ?        00:00:00 zebra
>>>   483 ?        00:00:00 ripd
>>> r1:~# /etc/init.d/zebra stop
>>> Stopping Quagga daemons (prio:0): (ripd) (zebra) (bgpd) (ripngd)
>>> (ospfd) (ospf6d) (isisd) (ldpd).
>>> Removing all routes made by zebra.
>>> r1:~# ps -A | egrep '(ripd|zebra)'
>>>   479 ?        00:00:00 zebra
>>>   483 ?        00:00:00 ripd
>>>
>>> /etc/init.d/quagga does the same (zebra is just a symlink)
>>>
>>> 2. After ifdown and ifup quagga still thinks that interface is down:
>>>
>>> r1:~# ifdown eth2
>>> r1:~# tail -1 /var/log/quagga/ripd.log
>>> 2008/10/17 22:27:34 RIP: interface delete eth2 index 5
>>> r1:~# ifup eth2 && sleep 30
>>> r1:~# tail -2 /var/log/quagga/ripd.log
>>> 2008/10/17 22:27:34 RIP: interface delete eth2 index 5
>>> 2008/10/17 22:27:56 RIP: rip_read: cannot find interface for packet