[Netkit.users] Problems with Netkit2 on Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Lun 28 Maggio 2007 16:36:50 CEST

Dear Adrian,

this bug is already known to happen on Ubuntu distros, and it is
pointless to say that it will be fixed in the next release of Netkit.

The bug is due to the fact that Ubuntu uses /bin/dash instead of
/bin/bash as the system default shell. Dash depends on fewer libraries,
is faster, and is more POSIX compliant, at the expense of a reduction in
the set of available features. Since the Netkit scripts make use of some
of these features, running them with dash instead of bash breaks them.

This also justifies why you experienced no such problem with other distros.

For the moment, you can apply the workaround described at the end of
this page: http://www.netkit.org/status.html.

Regards,
Massimo.