[Netkit.users] Huge sparse disk files being create on an ext4 partition

Breno Jacinto brenojac at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 02:06:02 CEST 2017

Hello guys.

      I'm usig netkit in my classes and we're having problems while
creating UML machines given that each hard disk is created as a sparse file
of about 10GB. While all machines use ext4 filesystems and in theory these
files would not be a problem, that is not the case.

     Linux keep counting these files as 10 GB and quickly our machines run
out of space. I'm not quite sure how to solve this. The idea would be for
Linux count the real space these sparse files occupy, right? Any ideas on
how to solve this?

     BTW, we're all running Ubuntu Linux 16.04 on ext4 partitions.

best regards,

---> Breno Jacinto
---> Instituto Federal de Educação, Ciência e Tecnologia de Alagoas (IFAL)
-----> http://www.ifal.edu.br
---> Life is Choice. You can choose to be a victim, or anything else you
want to be. (Sócrates - Peaceful Warrior) <--