[Netkit.users] First release of Netkit-ng

Julien Iguchi-Cartigny julien.iguchi-cartigny at lifl.fr
Tue Mar 25 09:10:12 CET 2014

On 03/25/2014 08:52 AM, Saverio Proto wrote:
> Hello Massimo,
>
> what about a new official Netkit release ? :)

A bit of warning: this is the first release and I don't thinks it is
enough stable to be officially released.

Furthermore, I propose to keep the name convention: netkit and
netkit-ng: a lot of people want to keep the old netkit as it is (stable,
well tested, support for MPLS). Thus I think having two official
distributions is the best approach.

Anyway thnaks for your feedback.

Regards

Julien

> Saverio

>> Dear Julien,
>>
>> thank you very much for this valuable contribution and for choosing to
>> make it public!
>> I'm pretty sure that users, especially those who had difficulties in
>> installing specific additional tools due to outdated software pieces,
>> will be able to take a great advantage of your work.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Massimo
>>
>> Il 24/03/14 21:27, Julien Iguchi-Cartigny ha scritto:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've just released the first version of netkit-ng. It is an update of
>>> netkit to include some functionalities and offer up-to-date kernel and
>>> filesystem (as it is not possible to build recent debian version).
>>>
>>> The new fs and kernel build system (and binaries) are available here:
>>>
>>> <https://github.com/kartoch/netkit-uml-build/releases/tag/0.1-r1>
>>>
>>> The build is based on latest wheezy debian, and offer recent kernel
>>> 3.2.51. Furthermore, the build is now based on rootstrap to use generic
>>> build system and thus avoid to rewrite build scripts. Sadly I cannot
>>> keep MPLS patches, as it is too difficult to merge them on recent kernel.
>>>
>>> You need updated netkit binaries, as the filesystem has a new format. It
>>> is available here:
>>>
>>> <https://github.com/kartoch/netkit-core/releases/tag/2.12-r1>
>>>
>>> I'm looking for feedback. Please test your labs with it...
>>>
>>> You can use bug reports of the github projects to report bugs.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Julien
>>> Netkit.users mailing list
>>> Netkit.users at list.dia.uniroma3.it