[Netkit.users] Clarification about the contributions process ?

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Thu May 16 19:19:15 CEST 2013

Dear Julien,

being one of the most active and steady contributors, we really appreciate your continued effort in reporting problems and fixes and in submitting improvements, particularly in recent times.

As you have observed, development has been a bit frozen for a while, due to engagement of (human) resources in many other research-related activities. However, a fair survey should also reckon that labs are updated on a regular basis (also see the "Recently updated pages" report at http://wiki.netkit.org/index.php/News), support requests are always answered, and the software is in a good enough shape to be fully functional on a wide variety of platforms, with few exceptions, thus decreasing the urge to apply critical fixes. At the same time, our presence on Github is a precious opportunity to collect issues and proposed fixes/enhancements (pull requests) that, although currently stale, are available to us for being merged upstream in a more development-friendly moment.I'm omitting that forks, which enable independent development by others, are of course possible, as you have experienced yourself.

That said, I don't think that "dead" is an appropriate adjective to describe the project status. I understand that our current "stuckness" in accepting pull requests may discourage further submissions, but if asking for changes to go upstream is too slow a path, another possibility in the meantime is to send to us a packaged contributed release, which we would be happy to publish on the web site. This would take much shorter and is independent of our current "development power".

Regards,
Massimo