[Netkit.users] Netkit on MAC OS X 10.6.8 - Snow Leopard

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Thu Mar 7 14:40:24 CET 2013

Hi Daniele,

> Thank you!
>
> I'm already using Lubuntu on VirtualBox to run Netkit.
>
> I'm just worried that the "double virtualization" can lead to important performance deteriorations when I've to study, for example, timing.

The performance penalty should not be much noticeable, especially if you are working on a recent enough Apple workstation.

As a side note, Netkit is not much indicated to accomplish performance measurements, because the timing of events highly depends on the host OS scheduler, that can arbitrarily choose how much CPU is assigned to each virtual machine during each time quantum. Hence, given that timings inside Netkit should not be deemed realistic, running experiments in a twice virtualized environment should really not make any difference.

Regards,
Massimo