[Netkit.users] Problem Network with 2 virtual machine connected to internet

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Wed Apr 24 17:08:33 CEST 2013

Hi Christian,

this is actually a limit of the current release of Netkit. Quoting from the man page of vstart:

> There can be at most one ``tap'' collision domain for each user. Hence, if different virtual machines are configured for using ``tap'' connected interfaces, they also are on the same collision domain. TAP-ADDRESS is mandatory, but is only taken into account when a ``tap'' collision domain is first used (i.e., this is the first interface the current user ever connected to a ``tap'' collision domain). Otherwise, it simply ignored.

This means that you cannot automatically set up two independent TAP collision domains (with a different subnet for each collision domain). If you really want to achieve this, you need to set up the second domain manually, and then attach it to a virtual machine. Consider that the procedure to set up a TAP interface is implemented in file $NETKIT_HOME/bin/manage_tuntap.

Regards,
Massimo