[Netkit.users] how to insert vm in real LAN

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Tue Jan 25 09:43:59 CET 2011

Dear sacarde,

Netkit provides native support for connecting virtual machines to a
non-virtual network (your LAN and, therefore, the Internet) by using tap
interfaces.

If you wanted to reach your LAN from inside a virtual machine you would
use a syntax similar to the following:

> vstart vm --eth0=tap,10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2

where 10.0.0.1 is an address assigned to a special interface that will
be created on your host (this is required in order to enable routing
between the virtual network and the real one) and 10.0.0.2 is the
address that will be automatically assigned to the network interface
inside the virtual machine. Note that:
- these two addresses must be on the same (classful) subnet
- these two addresses must lie in a subnet that is not currently in use
in your (real) network.

In short, it should be fine for you to use 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2, like
in the above command. After that, you should be able to ping
192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.1 or whatever Internet address from inside your
virtual machine.

Regards,
Massimo.