[Netkit.users] Two strange behaviors when buidling my own FS

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Tue Oct 19 17:30:49 CEST 2010

Dear Julien,

> - my own fs seems to block netkit, as the command lstart does not come
> back to shell after starting (but netkit machines work).

Unless invoked with option -f, lstart returns to the host shell prompt
only after all the virtual machines have finished booting. Detection of
boot completion for each virtual machine happens by checking for the
existence of a file vm.ready in the lab directory. Virtual machines must
therefore be able to write that file on the host filesystem, and this
task is accomplished by the script /etc/netkit-phase2.
You may check that this mechanism is working properly. During normal
operation, ".ready" files should appear briefly and be automatically
deleted once the whole lab is up and running.

> - When I use my own fs after building there is no problem with netkit
> but, after a reboot (I'm talking about the "real" computer), netkit
> terminal open then close immediatly. What is the difference for my FS
> after building and after reboot ?
>
> BTW, for the last problem, I don't have a log so i don't know where to
> start...

Try with "lstart --pass=--verbose --pass=--con0=this". Although I do not
expect much difference to occur between a just-built filesystem image
and a just-built filesystem image after a reboot....

> Thank you
>
> Cheers,
>
> Julien.

Cheers,