[Netkit.users] hostfs problems in fat-client

Alessandro Dentella sandro at e-den.it
Fri Mar 12 21:50:29 CET 2010

Dear Massimo,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 04:14:06PM +0100, Massimo Rimondini wrote:
> Dear Alessandro,
>
> I don't see anything wrong with your setup but must admit that it is a bit
> unusual.
> All I can do for the moment is to suggest you to dig further into the problem
> by considering the following hints:
>
>   • host filesystem type (ok, it's networked, but what kind of FS? Maybe there
>     are permission/bandwidth issues? Is there abnormal network activity when
>     the hang occurs?)

not at all, just a test lab with just me. Permission have been double checked...

>   • potential bugs in the hostfs implementation in the kernel shipped with
>     Netkit (there shouldn't be any, but some have been reported in the past
>     with a behavior similar to the one you are reporting)

I'm still using 2.6.22.5-netkit-K2.5, I'll upgrade to the newer kernel in
case. What puzzles me more than anything ese is that I saw it working, so
that I tend to think that kernel and so on are ok.

>   • messages logged by host and guest kernels on hang (you can run a tail -f /
>     var/log/messages in background in the guest to capture these messages,
>     provided that the kernel is still alive during the hang; maybe starting the
>     machines with the --verbose option also helps)

ok. I don't see any messages on the host machine, --verbose doesn't add any
message that gives me a hint...

Thanks for you attention

sandro
*:-)