[Netkit.users] Using the mac80211_hwsim to introduce wireless links in Netkit

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Fri Jan 15 10:53:16 CET 2010

Hi Saverio,

as far as I can see, UML is designed to support different transports for
ethernet interfaces only (see, e.g.,
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.26.5/arch/um/drivers/net_kern.c#L392). A
"transport" is a set of data structures and functions that the kernel
uses to communicate with the host. For example, part of the
implementation of the "daemon" transport (that supports virtual hubs) is
here: http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.26.5/arch/um/drivers/daemon_kern.c.

My feeling is therefore that things may not be as simple as hacking a
kernel command line, but rather some changes in the mac80211 module
would be required to obtain similar functionality to that of ethernet
interfaces. After all, also the difference in the format of 802.11
frames may call for this requirement.

But there are just wild guesses ;-)

Cheers,
Massimo.