[Netkit.users] Using the mac80211_hwsim to introduce wireless links in Netkit

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:59:50 CET 2010

Hello,

I just discovered this recent module for the Linux Kernel:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/mac80211_hwsim (read the
page before reading the rest of this email)

Now this module goal seems to work on a SINGLE machine, creating many
virtual interfaces and routing frames to and from these virtual
interfaces depending on the radio settings ...

But... do you think it is feasible to attach a collision domain to
this kind of virtual devices ? Instead of routing the packers just
inside the mac80211_hwsim module I need to understand if there is a
way to push packets to a vhub...

When netkit launchs the UML kernel with vstart something like this is
added as kernel option:

KERNELCMD="$KERNELCMD $DEVICE=daemon,,,$HUB_SOCKET"

so ethX are virtual interfaces for the UML kernel to be attached to
the vhub... but as for the tap interface... there is some special
trick to do the job and use the mac8011_hwsim ?

Sorry if this email sounds a bit confused... but actually I am :)

Saverio