[Netkit.users] Xorp

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Tue Feb 16 12:33:11 CET 2010

Dear Richard,

similarly to what happens for Quagga, the Xorp configuration files
shipped with Netkit are the standard ones provided with the Debian
package. As a consequence, they are likely to be unfit for most needs
and are meant to be replaced with customized ones.

As you have mentioned, in order to get Xorp working with a basic
configuration you need to clear (most of) the /etc/xorp/config.boot
file. Then you can access the Xorp console by launching 'xorpsh'. Inside
xorpsh, your configurations can be applied by using the 'commit' command
and saved by using 'save'. Keep in mind that Xorp can only write in
directories owned by the xorp user. By default, only /tmp is writable by
all users, and that is where you can temporarily put your configuration
files for experimentation. If you want to use a more "stable" directory,
create one on your own and change its ownership to xorp.

We do not yet have a lab describing the usage of Xorp (of course,
contributions are welcome!)
In the meantime, you can refer to the official documentation for more
details on its operation:
http://www.xorp.org/releases/current/docs/user_manual/user_manual.pdf.

Regards,
Massimo.