[Netkit.users] Netem on netkit

Giovambattista Ianni ianni at mat.unical.it
Mon Feb 15 20:28:31 CET 2010

Dear all,

I had in mind to do some delay+packet loss simulation using netkit, so I started
issuing some netem command in virtual machines, like:

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root netem delay 100ms

but, what I get is:

Unknown qdisc "netem", hence option "delay" is unparsable

Apparently netem is not compiled in the netkit kernel: I'm using a freshly
downloaded netkit copy with a "2.6.26.5-netkit-K2.8 (max a brunello) (gcc version
4.3.3 (Debian 4.3.3-13)" kernel on it.

Massimo reports that netem should be available in netkit:
http://list.dia.uniroma3.it/pipermail/netkit.users/2008-May/000353.html

but there is something wrong: is netem actually in? is there a way to enable it?
should I modprobe some additional module? has netem perhaps a different qdisc
name? (it was 'delay' in old kernels but this doesn't work)

regards, gb