[Netkit.users] Migrate the filesystem to Ubuntu

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Wed Feb 10 12:45:04 CET 2010

Dear Olivier,

I confirm Saverio's suggestions, with the following clarifications:

    * FUSE is already enabled as a kernel module in the kernel shipped
      with Netkit.
      If it fails to work, it may be because the kernel modules
      directory is not properly mounted inside virtual machines. It
      should be available inside /lib/modules/ and the script in charge
      of mounting it is /etc/rcS.d/S19mount-modules-dir.
    * Lots of cleanup need to be performed after installing a plain
      Debian/Ubuntu image. Limiting the number of launched terminals is
      one of them, and is achieved in the way Saverio has mentioned.
      What seems strange to me is that all these adaptations (and there
      are a number) should be automatically performed by the filesystem
      Makefile, which suggests that something may be currently failing
      (not surprising, since the Makefile was never meant to be robust
      or compatible). The problem is that, if these adaptations failed
      to be applied automatically, you would miss at the very least:
          o customized scripts inside the virtual machines, causing core
            functionalities (like using Netkit labs) to be unusable;
          o configuration files and other compiled commands inside the
            virtual machines, causing some services (like Zebra/Quagga)
            to be unusable;
          o a proper selection of startup-time services, resulting in
            virtual machines starting at boot a bunch of daemons which
            in most cases are useless;
          o other stuff which makes further stuff unusable.

For further information about what may be missing in the Makefile run
(and, therefore, what you may want to carry on by hand), refer to the
README file inside the filesystem package.

P.S. A disinterested suggestion: before seriously entering the tricky
filesystem build journey, it may still be worth investigating further in
the failed Debian-to-Ubuntu upgrade... ;-)

Regards,
Massimo.