[Netkit.users] Migrate the filesystem to Ubuntu

Olivier Mémin olivier.memin at mancalanetworks.com
Wed Feb 10 10:47:08 CET 2010

Hi all !

I am still working on the Netkit filesystem migration to Ubuntu Jaunty...
As suggested, I tried from scratch with the Makefile.devel provided by Netkit, changing the DEBIAN_MIRROR and the DEBIAN_VERSION variables. The compilation is successful after resolving some packages dependencies with the ADDITIONAL_PACKAGES variable.

However, when I boot a virtual machine with the vstart command (e.g. vstart pc1 --eth0=A), I get the following messages :
"Filesystem type 'fusectl' is not supported. Skipping mount"
Then the boot goes on with
" * Setting preliminary keymap...
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
"
and six terminals which open on my screen !

I read some archived mails on this list from people also trying to install Ubuntu from scratch
e.g. http://list.dia.uniroma3.it/pipermail/netkit.users/2006-September/000189.html

Do some of you have ideas regarding the launching bug (mkfs.ext2 options when creating the filesystem ?) or even a tarball with a recent functionnal Ubuntu filesystem ?
I know this is a very specific problem but your help will be very welcome.
Thanks a lot in advance for the time you could spend on it.

Best regards,
Olivier