[Netkit.users] Migrate the filesystem to Ubuntu

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Fri Feb 5 13:00:02 CET 2010

Dear Olivier,

I am inclined to confirm Saverio's suggestion, which is actually how we
build the filesystem and what is explained in the README file.
The reason why the whole procedure is deemed dangerous is because you
must be aware of what you are doing at each step, or you risk to confuse
your hard drive with a loopback device and wipe away your beloved host
OS. ;-)

About the hangup at boot, a little further investigation induces me to
think that there may be some problem with scripts that start services.
If you run a machine with "--append=init=/bin/sh" and then, at the
prompt, you type "exec init -v", you can better understand what I mean.
init is able to start, but hangs at:
> init: mountall main process (155) became new process (156)
> init: mountall main process (156) became new process (157)
> init: mountall state changed from spawned to post-start
> init: mountall state changed from post-start to running
> init: Handling started event
> init: Handling mount event

Regards,
Massimo.