[Netkit.users] Migrate the filesystem to Ubuntu

Olivier Mémin olivier.memin at mancalanetworks.com
Fri Feb 5 11:06:05 CET 2010

Hi all !

I really need to use Ubuntu on virtual machines with Netkit. As it is based on Debian, the default Netkit filesystem, I guess it is not an infeasible task.
Have some of you already tested it ?

Based on my Google researches, I already tried :
- to mount and chroot the default filesystem ;
- to modify the /etc/apt/sources.list file with Ubuntu Karmic Koala repositories ;
- to install ubuntu-standard package via 'apt-get install ubuntu-standard' ;
- to umount the modified filesystem.

The package installation seems OK although there are some minor problems with language variables (LC_ALL and LANGUAGE).
But when I start a lab (normally working with the default fs), the virtual machines are blocked after theses steps :
-----
Locating the bottom of the address space ... 0x10000
Locating the top of the address space ... 0xc0000000
Core dump limits :
soft - 0
hard - NONE
Checking that ptrace can change system call numbers...OK
Checking syscall emulation patch for ptrace...OK
Checking advanced syscall emulation patch for ptrace...OK
Checking for tmpfs mount on /dev/shm...OK
Checking PROT_EXEC mmap in /dev/shm/...OK
Checking for the skas3 patch in the host:
- /proc/mm...not found: No such file or directory
- PTRACE_FAULTINFO...not found
- PTRACE_LDT...not found
UML running in SKAS0 mode
Adding 24801280 bytes to physical memory to account for exec-shield gap
MPLS: version 1.962
-----

I would really appreciate your advice.
Does it seem crazy to operate in this way ?
Would it be better to create my own filesystem despite the risks of this operation presented in the README file ?

Best regards,
Olivier.