[Netkit.users] parse support in archive ?

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Sun Apr 25 13:13:00 CEST 2010

Hi Julien,

you did mean "sparse"... ;-)

As sparse files are a filesystem feature, copying over the network cannot
but transfer the whole file, unless compression has been applied beforehand.
If you are using tar for compression, there is a -S (or --sparse) that
enables handling of sparse files. It should be used only when creating the
compressed archive (see
http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/sparse.html#SEC133).

Also, I suggest checking that the destination filesystem has support for
sparse files (ext, NTFS, Reiser, XFS do, just to mention a few; a more
complete list can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems#Allocation_and_layou
t_policies).

Cheers,