[Netkit.users] Legacy (BSD) PTY support

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Fri Apr 23 16:10:53 CEST 2010

Dear Silvia,

static entries in /dev (like those you need) can be created automatically by using the /sbin/MAKEDEV utility, which is available in most Linux distributions and inside the Netkit filesystem as well.
In order to make permanent changes to the filesystem image, you can use this guide: http://wiki.netkit.org/index.php/FAQ#How_can_I_install.2Fupgrade_packages_or_other_additional_software_inside_Netkit.3F, particularly the first part where it explains how to start a virtual machine where changes are written directly to the filesystem image.

Therefore, you could proceed as follows:
1) Start a virtual machine using option -W.
2) Create the required device nodes using a command like "/sbin/MAKEDEV pty". If it does not work, or does not satisfy your needs, you can manually create each required entry using the "mknod" command instead. Refer to http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.33/Documentation/devices.txt for information about minor and major numbers for PTY devices.
3) Gracefully halt the virtual machine using the "halt" command.

Cheers,
Massimo.