[Netkit.users] Tap problem in netkit [SOLVED]

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Fri Mar 20 09:41:20 CET 2009

I'm glad to see you soulved the problem.

Some additional comments follow.

> I did the tests: even with different addresses the netkit had the same
> error: no ip address in nk_tap_silvio. I used for real interface the
> IP address 172.16.149.7, and the recursive machine (virtual) the IP
> address 192.168.100.2. (I used the command vstart --clean-all before).

Strange. I'm still unable to understand whether this is a Suse specific
problem or is due to some other bug.

By the way, I assume you used "vclean --clean-all" instead.

> When I added the the line
> "recursivo[0]=tap,192.168.100.1,192.168.100.2" in my lab.conf, it show
> a warning::
>
> Warning: interface eth0 for virtual machine "recursivo" is defined
> multiple times.
> Only preserving definition "recursivo[0]="collision1"".

This means that you have a line
recursivo[0]="collision1"
in your lab.conf. Indeed, the collision domain for tap interfaces is
forced (you may assume it to be "tap"). Any tap interface in your lab
would automatically connect to that same collision domain. Therefore,
explicitly specifying an additional collision domain name for eth0 on
recursivo is correctly interpreted as a misconfiguration.

> Thank you by your patience, and I will divulgate your tool in my
> university (I'm a teacher too, in graduation - Quality of Service
> discipline). :)

You are welcome!
It would be great if you could provide us with some more information
about your University, so that we can update the "success stories" page:
http://wiki.netkit.org/index.php/Success_stories

Thank you and regards,
Massimo.