[Netkit.users] Tap problem in netkit

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Mon Mar 16 15:10:52 CET 2009

Dear Silvio,

I venture a hypothesis: if 172.16.149.7 is also the address of a
physical (Ethernet?) interface on your OpenSUSE machine, then you have a
duplicate IP address. In fact, in an option like --eth0=tap,addr1,addr2
Netkit assigns addr1 to a different, newly created virtual interface on
the host. Therefore, using the same address of a physical interface
conflicts like it would between two different physical interfaces.
Also, besides being on the same subnet, addr1 and addr2 should be picked
in a different subnet from that of the physical interface.

If this is the problem but is not what you want to achieve (e.g., you
really want virtual machines to be in your house's subnet), then you
need some manual setup to configure bridging instead. Feel free to come
back if you are interested in this.

Regards,
Massimo.