[Netkit.users] OpenWRT UML integrated into Netkit

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 15:56:48 CET 2009

> very interesting!
> The page you mention has been linked from the Netkit web site:
> http://wiki.netkit.org/index.php/Labs_Links.

thanks ! :)

> About the tap, host-side setup is performed by the
> $NETKIT_HOME/bin/manage_tuntap script, and this is almost all that is
> required to get it running. The only thing that is left to do inside the
> guest is to add a default route, which is performed by the
> /etc/init.d/netkit-phase1 script.

Yes, that's what I realized reading the scripts :) However there is
something I'm missing to make the all thing work.

If I run a default netkit UML debian machine everything works perfect.

When I run the OpenWRT UML Machine:

 * I configure by hand the IP address and the default route on the
OpenWRT virtual Machine
 * I flush any default iptables rule on the OpenWRT virtual machine
 * I try to ping 10.0.0.1

If I tcpdump from OpenWRT I only see ARP requests for 10.0.0.1. So I
see only the traffic generated from the UML OpenWRT machine.

On the host machine sniffing on the tap I see the ARP requests and I
see also the ARP reply being generated, but those answer never
actually get back to the OpenWRT guest machine.

Iptables rules on the host machine also have been checked and they look fine.

Maybe I'm missing some kernel module in the UML OpenWRT guest machine ?

So the problem is that the traffic generated from the host machine on
the tap interface is not heard by the guest machine... I have no idea
how to debug deeper in this problem :(

Saverio