[Netkit.users] How to better sniff traffic in Netkit?

Marco listaddr at katamail.com
Wed Dec 9 20:43:59 CET 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009, Massimo Rimondini wrote:

> I was about to point you to Julien's patch, which is the best way of
> obtaining what you asked for.

Thanks, I've looked at it and it looks promising. (And many thanks to Julien
for providing it in the first place, of course)

> As for the configuration of network interfaces, the reason why we
> settled on currently offered options and automatisms is that we did not
> want to trade simplicity of usage for flexibility of configuration.
> After all, one of the main goals of Netkit is to provide an easy to use
> interface to User-Mode Linux, setup of network interfaces, networking
> software, etc., and exposing all the functions of these components to
> the user would defeat this goal.

In my opinion, what I'm suggesting and the current behavior are not in
contrast. The feature I mentioned could simply be added as an extra option for
the "advanced" users. Also, the current tap collision domain to connect to the
Internet could even be reimplemented using the same underlying mechanism.

> However, I agree with you that the configuration of network interfaces
> should be made more flexible. This is something we plan to work on,
> likely by taking advantage of VDE as you have mentioned.

Thanks, keep up the good work!

Marco.