[Netkit.users] Switch off disk files

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Tue Sep 2 20:51:29 CEST 2008

Dear Julien,

the correct way to accomplish this is to stop Netkit labs using lcrash.
The default behavior is to remove .disk files upon lab crash, therefore
this is probably enough to satisfy your need.
On the other hand, labs that were not cleanly crashed can be purged by
using lclean.

At present there is no way to completely prevent the creation of .disk
files, but I can suggest a workaround.
Provided that you are using bash as your system shell, you can define
the following function in your .bashrc (the trick also works with other
system shells, provided that appropriate syntax is used):

lstart() {
    $NETKIT_HOME/bin/lstart $@
    lclean $@
}

The effect of doing this is that lstart is remapped to an actual
invocation of lstart immediately followed by a cleanup of .disk files.
As a file is only deleted once all descriptors referring to it are
closed, machines continue to work properly. However, as soon as the
Netkit lab is stopped, .disk files immediately cease to exist without
you having to remember to delete them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Massimo.