[Netkit.users] Can not start virtual machine with tap interface within a lab - su: must be run in a terminal

Massimo Rimondini rimondin at dia.uniroma3.it
Fri Oct 31 17:08:54 CET 2008

Dear Saverio,

ok, got it :)

The problem lies in the use of the -p option. In fact, in order to keep
the number of booting virtual machines constant, Netkit exploits the
make command which, in turn, diverts the input from the terminal.

I see you are using -p0. If you are not interested in enforcing
constraints on the startup order of virtual machines (i.e., using
lab.dep), you can obtain an equivalent effect (and solve your problem)
with lstart -f.

If, on the other hand, the startup order is important for you (and I see
from your lab tree that indeed it is), you can keep your startup options
unaltered, but you need to apply the attached patch to Netkit. This
solution also relieves you from the need to insert a password every time
the lab starts up.

Regards,
Massimo.