[Netkit.users] Fwd: [Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details]

Sandro Doro sandro.doro at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:42:49 CEST 2008

> From: Lorenzo Bracciale <lorenzo.bracciale a uniroma2.it>
> To: Users of the Netkit Network Emulation System
> <netkit.users a vvv.dia.uniroma3.it>
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:29:25 +0200
> Subject: Slow Bootstrap of virtual machines
> Hello,
> I need to remaster the latest knoppix (version 5.3) with the latest
> netkit (version 2.6).
> On this live distro [1] I experiment a very very slow  bootstrap of
> each virtual machine. After I give a simple "vstart pc0", I must wait
> long time (some minutes!)  to  see the virtual machine shell.
>
> I noticed the same behaviour also on other laptops.
> If I try with Netkit4TIC live distro on the same host machine ,
> everything go fine ("fast" bootstrap).
> Is it an host machine kernel-related issue? Have you got any hints?

yes it's kernel related :-(

For the last Netkit4TIC release (2008-09-22) i prefered to stay
with Knoppix 5.1.X for this issue. I prefered FAST virtual machine
environment instead of the LAST Knoppix release.

This is related to SKAS3 kernel patch used by Netkit4TIC (Knoppix 5.1.X)
not available for Knoppix 5.3.X.

In the past I have tested Knoppix 5.3.1 version:

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjRCFdYqA-s
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU7iblJ4mI8
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuAqh6VjP3g
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH6H7DH2OM4

but at the end I decided for 5.1.1 :-(

> Thanks,
>
> Lorenzo
>

> [1]  available at http://simulator.netgroup.uniroma2.it/knoppix.iso

Saluti,
  Sandro Doro

--
Sandro Doro
e-mail: sandro DOT doro AT istruzione DOT it