[Netkit.users] Creating a custom root_fs

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Ven 19 Ott 2007 12:07:29 CEST

Dear Paolo,

this is Massimo Rimondini replying and I will try to explain why
installing quagga is easy.

1) Start an Internet connected virtual machine:
vstart  vm --eth0=tap,10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2 -M 256 --append=root=98:1 -W
(tap connects it to the Internet, M increases the memory amount -
required for installing packages -, root=98:1 properly mounts the right
partition in the disk image, W makes changes to the filesystem permanent)

2) Configure a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf inside vm.

3) apt-get update inside the vm.

4) apt-get install quagga inside the vm.

5) Answer "yes" at any prompt.

6) halt inside the vm.

7) You're done!

This is what I meant by "easy": there's no need to change the kernel.
By the way, the very same procedure is also documented in
http://www.netkit.org/faq.html#q07.

I have assumed you are going to install quagga in the F3.0a filesystem
image. Attempting to do the same in the F2.2 image might cause further
trouble.
Of course, things turn different if you need to recompile quagga from
source. Please let us know if this is the case.

Regards,
Massimo.