[Netkit.users] Issue with vlan/mtu

Cedric Foll cedric.foll a laposte.net
Gio 22 Nov 2007 23:50:56 CET

> I guess this is a problem because of the 4 bytes of overhead of the VLAN tag

Yes definitly.

> What about adjusting the MTU value with the if-up script ? So you
> don't have to do it manually everytime an interface comes up.

Yes, but it's not a solution in large network (but for my lab it is, definitly).
I used L3 switch, fw (not based on linux) who route between vlan with
802.1q link and never had such problem...

So i just want to have a solution in real life network using linux to
route between vlan on a 802.1q link:
-is it a bug with the kernel provided by netkit ?
-it is a normal behaviour and someone (the bridge) should send a path
mtu error ?

Cdt.