[Netkit.users] synchronizing VM startup

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Mar 13 Nov 2007 23:26:31 CET

Dear Csaba,

synchronization opportunities depend on communication opportunities.
Virtual machines can basically communicate with each other by using
networking or the host filesystem.

Waiting for all the machines to start up (so as to be able to read other
machines' data) can be simply implemented by telling each virtual
machine to create a file in /hostlab after it has completed the boot
sequence. Then you can poll for the presence of these files and, once
they are all in place, you can start collecting your data. This is
exactly what ltest does. As an alternative, you could create just a
single file in the lab directory after lstart has completed the lab
startup. Virtual machines should then poll for just that file.
I believe networking based synchronization is less comfortable to use
and might impact the outcome of the investigation you are trying to perform.

Regards,
Massimo.