[Netkit.users] TorLab: netkit lab with Tor anonymous routing

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Mar 13 Nov 2007 23:02:16 CET

Dear Csaba,

even if with some delay, we finally follow up your mail. Answers follow
inline.

Csaba Kiraly wrote:
> Dear Massimo,
>
> The instructions for "upgrading" the filesystem are already available.
> Actually, I was preparing it based on your FAQ:
> http://minerva.netgroup.uniroma2.it/discreet/wiki/TorLabInstallFs
>
> However, I was making the filesystems available for two reasons:
>
> 1, as far as I have understood, you need root privileges to connect
> the VM (running directly the base filesystem) to the external network,
> which is a precondition for having an easy install of debian packages
> inside the VM. This makes install a bit cumbersome for users without
> the right privileges

Right, and reasonable motivation.

> 2, users are not just without root rights, but even lazy .... so I
> have the filesystem already prepared for them. Otherwise, Tor
> installation is simple ;)

Another reasonable motivation :-)

> If you can't host the filesystem, we can have the instructions
> included with an external link to the pre-prepared FS for convenience.
> I can also prepare some slides that explain the lab in more detail.

Equipping the lab with some slides would be the best choice. You can
find templates to prepare them on the lab contributions web page:
http://www.netkit.org/labs-contribs.html.
As for hosting the filesystem, we should check beforehand whether this
meets our space allocation policy.

> Another issue I had is related to the UML kernel version, but I think
> I start another thread with the right title for that tomorrow... if it
> was already discussed in detail, please let me know.
>
> Thanks for the quick response, and of course for the great Netkit tool!
> Csaba

Regards,
Massimo.