R: [Netkit.users] Netkit benchmarking

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Sab 16 Set 2006 18:53:53 CEST

Dear Paolo,

I'm glad you hear the explanation was useful!

I think the answer to all your questions is unique.
A Netkit lab consists of several processes (virtual machines, virtual hubs,
etc.), and the sharing of CPU power among them is regulated by the host
kernel scheduler. Hence, the sharing policy depends on the host kernel you
are running and the parameters it has been compiled with.
We don't have benchmarks because Netkit is an emulation environment, in
which accuracy matters more than speed. Even if we provided them, they would
be highly biased by both the hardware and the software (i.e., kernel) run on
the host machine, and therefore we believe they wouldn't be of much use.

About the packet loss, the message you see is signalled by the software that
manages virtual connections. In short, it is a small program which
dispatches the packets sent by virtual machines on a Unix socket. If packets
are lost, this is usually because one of the virtual machines is unable to
eat them up at a proper rate. The fact that this happens while performing a
scan is likely to be related to this.

...and don't worry about your english :-)

Regards,
Massimo.