[Netkit.users] Re: 2 real PC integration and tunnel TAP<->eth0

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Mer 26 Lug 2006 16:12:26 CEST

Dear Paolo,

sorry it took some time to answer.

If you want more than one Netkit machine to access an external network,
proceed as follows.

[ from now on you must be root ]
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
chmod 666 /dev/net/tun
# Enable masquerading and open firewall
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE
iptables -I FORWARD -i tap+ -j ACCEPT
# Create the first tunnel
tunctl -u your_user_name -t tap1
ifconfig tap1 external_address1 up
# Create the second tunnel
tunctl -u your_user_name -t tap2
ifconfig tap2 external_address2 up
[ now you can revert to your user privileges ]

At this point you have to start two virtual hubs, which ensures that the
two "border" VMs lie on different collision domains and allows them to
communicate with the external network. Proceed as follows:

uml_switch -tap tap1 -hub -unix ~/.netkit/hubs/vhub_tap1.cnct </dev/null
2>&1 &
uml_switch -tap tap2 -hub -unix ~/.netkit/hubs/vhub_tap2.cnct </dev/null
2>&1 &

Now, a snapshot of the setting:
- two tunnel interfaces which allow traffic to flow out of the machine
hosting your Netkit network;
- two virtual hubs (connected to the tunnel interfaces) which are ready
to receive traffic from the Netkit machines you want to connect to the
external network.

So, what you are still missing are the "border" Netkit virtual machines
(the other ones can be started as usual). In order to start them, you
need to tweak a little bit with the UML kernel command line. First of
all, start the "border" VMs as you usually would, but also using the
"--print" option of vstart. You should get an output whose last line is
similar to the following:

/home/user/netkit2/kernel/netkit-kernel
modules=/home/user/netkit2/kernel/modules name=pc1 title=pc1 umid=pc1
mem=12M ubd0=/home/user/pc1.disk,/home/uawe/netkit2/fs/netkit-fs
root=98:1 uml_dir=/home/uawe/.netkit/mconsole
eth0=daemon,,,/home/user/.netkit/hubs/vhub_max_tap.cnct
autoconf_eth0=10.0.0.2 def_route=10.0.0.1 hosthome=/home/max quiet
con0=xterm con1=null

Locate the argument referring to the interface you wish to connect to
the external network (for the sake of simplicity, in this case the VM is
equipped with just one interface: eth0). Replace the string
"vhub_max_tap.cnct" with "vhub_tap1.cnct". This connects the interface
to the first virtual hub, hence to the first tunnel, hence to the first
"way out" of the network. Also, replace the value for "autoconf_eth0"
with the address you wish to assign to the emulated interface inside the
virtual machine, and the value for "def_route" with <external_address1>
you have been using above. Notice that, using "autoconf_eth0" and
"def_route" does not allow CIDR routing (that is, addresses are
automatically assigned their natural netmasks).

Proceed in a similar way to set up the other "border" VM.

At this point you should be done! :)

As for the other problem, failure to receive reply packets is most
probably due to the combined effect of disabling IP forwarding and/or of
the contents of the routing tables.
I'm quite confident that a tunnel is not what you need to solve this
problem. This seems to be a matter of routing packets. I suggest you
check the routing tables of the machines involved in the ping, and my
hint is also to re-enable IP forwarding (it's quite strange to think
that things may still work without).
And, for what concerns honeyd being bypassed, unfortunately I'm not
really competent in its usage. Are you sure it is being bypassed?
Observing duplicate packets sounds like two interfaces are reacting to
the echo request. Isn't it the case that honeyd is triggering this?

Cheers,
Massimo.