[Netkit.users] 2 real PC integration

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Ven 21 Lug 2006 21:58:34 CEST

Hi Paolo,

don't worry: the drawing is clear! :)

And, yes, you are right: only one host side tap interface per user can
be set up by using the --ethN=tap syntax. This brings about two
restrictions:
1) all emulated ethernet adapters connected to the external network
("tap interfaces") must be on the same subnet;
2) all emulated ethernet adapters connected to the external network lie
on the same collision domain.

If you look at 2), it is kind of saying that the two real PC are on the
same hub. Hence, holding these constraints, it is a nonsense to attempt
layer 3 routing among different tap interfaces configured this way.

Now, the question is: do you really need two real hosts to setup your
network, or would just one (or even none) be enough, replacing the other
with an emulated PC?
If this is not the case, and if you are interested, I can provide you
with details about the procedure to configure other tap interfaces by
hand. It's a little less user friendly and cannot be automated by using
Netkit lcommands, but I can tell you if you want.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Massimo.