[Netkit.users] tap device

Gianni Costanzi gianni.costanzi a gmail.com
Sab 23 Dic 2006 14:32:51 CET

On 12/23/06, Robert Sebunnya <rsebunya a dicts.mak.ac.ug> wrote:
> hello, good afternoon ,
> I have setup netkit virtual machines on my host machines and they can
> intercommunicate  very well.However I am not able to connect any of the
> virtual machines to the host machines by tap devices.
> When I set up the tap device there is no error, whatsoever but I cant get
> the host machine or virtual machine to ping each other,
> Any help will be highly appreciated.

Are you able to configure the interface of the virtual machine (with
ifconfig) or do you receive some error, like "SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission
denied"? One of the my frequent mistakes is forgetting to give
read/write permissions to the /dev/net/tun device on the host machine
(chmod 0666 /dev/net/tun).. I must precise that I do not use netkit
but directly UML..

Bye,
Gianni