[Netkit.users] Enormous disk usage on Fedora Core 4

Massimo Rimondini maxonthenet a tiscali.it
Mer 26 Ott 2005 16:41:15 CEST

Hello Enrico,

sorry, I seem to have misinterpreted the report. I was assuming that was
the real disk space consumption. Anyway, there's still something that
suggests me that this is actually the case. Consider again the output
provided by Antony:

[ice a vega netkit-lab_bgp-1-simple-peering]$ ls -lh
totale 1,2G
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ice ice  633 30 set 17:02 changes
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ice ice  230 30 set 17:44 lab.conf
drwxr-xr-x  3 ice ice 8,0K 23 apr  2005 router1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ice ice 602M 25 ott 18:23 router1.disk
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ice ice   98 25 ott 18:23 router1.log
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ice ice   99 23 apr  2005 router1.startup
drwxr-xr-x  3 ice ice 8,0K 23 apr  2005 router2
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ice ice 602M 25 ott 18:23 router2.disk
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ice ice  170 25 ott 18:23 router2.log
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ice ice   97 23 apr  2005 router2.startup

The line "totale 1,2G" seems to support my hypothesis. If you perform
the same "ls -lh" while using a guaranteed-to-work Netkit installation
you get much smaller summary sizes.
This clue, together with the startup time, makes me think that the
slowdown is actually due to intense disk activity.

I let Antony pronounce the last word about that...

Regards,
Massimo.