[Netkit.users] Enormous disk usage on Fedora Core 4

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Mer 26 Ott 2005 13:11:37 CEST

Hello Antony,

the answer is: definitely not. It is not normal. This seems to be an
evidence of either one of the following facts:
1) the UML kernel (the kernel of virtual machines) has some problems with
filesystem handling;
2) virtual machines are performing strange operations during their boot
phase.

In order to check for this, I suggest you to proceed as follows:
- start a single virtual machine (vstart pc)
- check the status of disk activity
- check if there is some ongoing activity inside the virtual machine
during its boot (look at the list of running processes, check for the
amount of available disk space inside the virtual machines, etc.)
- check whether the size of the .disk file (on the host machine) is
growing as well during this phase
- crash the virtual machine (by using vcrash)
- check the size of the .disk file once more

Consider that .disk files just store differences between the model
filesystem ($NETKIT_HOME/fs/netkit-fs) and the actual contents of the
virtual machines filesystem. Hence, they are expected to be usually very
small (people often make very little changes to the configuration of the
virtual machines).

Regards,
Massimo.