[Netkit.users] New Netkit release - 2.0 Beta

Massimo Rimondini rimondin a dia.uniroma3.it
Mar 26 Lug 2005 19:43:05 CEST

Hello Netkit users!

We officially announce that a new Netkit release is now out. More
precisely, we are speaking of Netkit 2.0 beta version. It's been a (very)
long time since the last release of Netkit, but we believe it's been worth
the wait.

Major improvements include:
- A complete set of man pages, which document every possible aspect of
Netkit.
- A configuration file which allows to alter default settings (file
locations, etc.) by simply editing it.
- More robust and rewritten from scratch "vtools". The "ltools" have been
revised as well.
- Ability to attach network interfaces to running machines.
- A new testing system for the Netkit labs, which eases debugging and
redistribution of experiences.
- Possibility to perform actions (for example, crash and restart) on a
specific subset of the virtual machines of a Netkit lab.
- More flexible lab configurations, including the possibility to setup
machines with different amounts of memory.
- Ability to automatically connect virtual machines to a real network
(e.g., the Internet).
- A new, more stable 2.6.11.7 UML kernel.
- Support for kernel modules loading.

See the changelogs for more information about novel features.

You can download the new release via HTTP from http://www.netkit.org.
Consider that, starting from version 2, Netkit is no longer distributed as
a single package. We decided to do so because in this way changes to a
single component (e.g., the kernel) do not require you to download the
full package again.

We encourage you to test the new release and to give us feedback about it.
Please tell us whether you find buggy features or Netkit runs flawlessly
on your distribution. This would be useful for us to maintain a list of
Netkit-compliant platforms.

Enjoy it!

Regards,
The Netkit team.