[Netkit.users] VDE & Netkit

Massimo Rimondini maxonthenet a tiscali.it
Ven 22 Apr 2005 18:25:03 CEST

Hello everybody.

I've seen that some people (in particular, Marco Fiscato and Antonio
Anselmi) are interested in integrating Virtual Distributed Ethernet
(VDE) inside Netkit.

I believe this would be a considerable improvement, which would
introduce the opportunity to realize interesting scenarios that are not
supported by the current Netkit architecture.

Introducing VDE support inside Netkit should not be a too invasive
process: it's a matter of changing some scripts. Essentially, the target
is to implement a new "advanced" switch whose interface is similar to
the one of the standard uml_switch'es. Once this is done, using the new
switch in the Netkit scripts is quite straightforward.

However, this could be a good chance to provide the swtiches with even
more sophisticated features. Just think about the opportunity of
configuring per-link delays, packet losses and similar stuff. Some
development efforts in that directions have already been made (and will
probably appear in the next release of Netkit), but without making use
of VDE-aware solutions.

All of this does not collide with the development activity that is
currently going on. We are working on testing a new kernel and a new
suite of scripts, and we are going to check the labs as well. None of
the above activities should impact the way VDE integration is supposed
to take place.

VDE may hopefully be supported in one of the future releases of Netkit.
Anyway, we do *not* plan to VDE-enable the next release.

Feel free to contact us for any further questions or support you should
need.

Bye,
Massimo.