[GDNET] Last Reminder >>> [PhD Position Opening] Prae-doc position on Visual Analytics and Information Diffusion @ TU Vienna – 30/40 hrs (m/f/d)

Miksch Silvia silvia.miksch at tuwien.ac.at
Sun Jan 28 16:09:12 CET 2024

## Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message ##

** FUNDED PHD POSITION AT TU VIENNA **

Funded PhD position within the ViSual ANalytics for Event-based
Diffusion on Networks (SANE) project @ TU Wien f/m/d (30-40h)

We are hiring a talented PhD candidate in an international project on
the visual analytics of complex diffusion processes over temporal
networks. You will work in the context of SANE, a project held by TU
Vienna (Austria), the University of Cologne (Germany) and the University
of Newcastle (United Kingdom). This project arrangement gives you unique
career opportunities, including student exchanges abroad, regular
meetings with researchers from the other institutions participating to
the project.

We are looking for a PhD candidate to work from the TU Wien, at the
Institute of Visual Computing and Human-Centered Technology, in the
Research Unit of Visual Analytics. We offer a position as project
assistant (prae-doc) limited to 3 years for 30 hours/week (that can
beextended to 40). Gross annual (monthly) salary of Euro 43,650
(2,464.80) according to FWF regulations.

In this position, you will begin your doctoral journey studying problems
related to the topic of event-based(or “temporal”) network
visualization. In Event-based networks, the time coordinates where the
nodes and the edges are “active” are an explicit element of the
representation, differently from traditional timeslicing where a time
structure is imposed over the input data. You will apply these concepts
to the problem of Information Diffusion. Information Diffusion studies
how “information” flows and spreads through an underlying network, and
has been used to model, simulate, and predict natural and human-made
phenomena in countless different domains (e.g., pathogen spread, malware
outbreak in computer networks, viral marketing, etc.). However, little
research has been done on this problem within the context of visualization.

Wanna know more? Check the project description and complete job posting
at https://www.cvast.tuwien.ac.at/projects/sane

Deadline for applications: 29 January 2024

Expected start: March 2024

Questions? You can reach me at Alessio.arleo at tuwien.ac.at