[GDNET] GD Contest 2019

Philipp Kindermann philipp.kindermann at uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Apr 4 16:32:01 CEST 2019

Dear Graph Drawers & Network Visualizers!

As you know, the 27th International Symposium on Graph Drawing and
Network Visualization will take place near Prague, Czech Republic, from
September 17 to 20, 2019. As has been tradition since 1994, the
symposium will be accompanied by a Graph Drawing Contest, allowing all
community members to demonstrate their graph drawing skills in a fun
competitive setting. The contest has two parts: the Creative Topics and
the Live Challenge.

1) Creative Topics

For your entertainment and inspiration, we have composed two nice graphs
that you may draw with full artistic freedom. The first graph represents
the appearances of 28 superheroes in 24 movies of the "Marvel Cinematic
Universe". The second graph describes 151 food recipes and their
ingredients extracted from the TheMealDB database. In both cases, you
may visualize the graph in any way you like. Submissions will be judged
on a list of criteria that includes, but is not limited to, readability,
aesthetics, novelty, and design quality. The weighting of the criteria
might be different for the two graphs. Submissions will be handled
through EasyChair. For more details, visit
http://graphdrawing.org/gdcontest/contest2019/topics.html

Submission deadline: September 05 (23:59 PDT)

2) Live Challenge

Following popular tradition, a live challenge will be held during the
symposium in a format similar to a typical programming contest. Teams
are presented with a collection of challenge graphs and have
approximately one hour to submit their highest scoring drawings. This
year, the challenge focuses on minimizing the number of crossings in a
straight-line upward drawing on a fixed grid. Teams may either draw the
graphs manually, or use their own customized tools. Remote participation
will also be possible. For more details, visit
http://graphdrawing.org/gdcontest/contest2019/challenge.html

3) Awards

Thanks to our generous sponsors, a monetary prize will be awarded to up
to three submissions in each of the four different categories.

We are looking forward to your submissions!

Best regards,
the Graph Drawing Contest Committee,
Philipp Kindermann, Tamara Mchedlidze, and Ignaz Rutter