[GDNET] PhD/Postdoc Positions in Algorithms at the University of Würzburg

Steven Chaplick steve.chaplick at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:27:20 CET 2019

(please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this
message)

The Algorithms Group at the University of Würzburg
(http://www1.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/home/) invites applications
for TWO PhD students (or a PostDoc and a PhD student).

We offer two three-year full-time positions (TVL-13 100% scale -> net
salary of roughly 2200 EUR/month; PhD students receive 75% in their
first year), an engaging research environment with broad interests in
Theoretical Computer Science, and plenty of opportunities for both local
and international scientific collaborations.

Some of our current projects include:
- Geometric Representations of Graphs (cooperation with Charles
University in the Czech Republic and the University of Passau)
- Drawing Graphs: Geometric Aspects Beyond Planarity (cooperation with
the National Academy of Sciences of the Ukraine)
- Algorithmically-Guided User Interaction: Smart Crowdsourcing and the
Extraction of Metadata from Old Maps (part of the DFG priority program
on Volunteered Geographic Information)

For more information, see:
http://www1.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/projects/

We will also host the 36th European Workshop on Computational Geometry
(EuroCG) in 2020 (https://go.uniwue.de/eurocg20).

The city of Würzburg (population ca. 130k) is the center of the
Franconian wine region and is conveniently located on the Main river
between Frankfurt (1h by train, 1.5 to the airport), Stuttgart (2h), and
Munich (2h).

We expect an excellent Master's degree (in the case of PhD applicants)
or PhD degree (in the case of postdoc applicants) in Computer Science,
Mathematics, or a related discipline. Applicants should have a
theoretical/mathematical background, enthusiasm for mathematical
problems and scientific work, and an interest in some of the following
areas:

- Algorithmic Graph Theory
- Graph Drawing
- Computational Geometry
- Geographic Information Systems

All applications should include
- a cover letter describing the interest in the position
- a detailed CV
- a list of publications (PostDoc applicants), or a list of courses and
grades (PhD applicants)
- a copy of the Master thesis (if available)
- names and contact details of two references.

Note that fluency in English is required. Knowledge of German is not
required but will simplify everyday life.

Interested candidates should send their application as _a single PDF
file_ to Steven Chaplick via email using the subject "Application:
Algorithms Position" :
FIRSTNAME.LASTNAME at uni-wuerzburg.de
http://www1.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/chaplick-steven/

Questions regarding the position can be sent to the same address with
the subject "Question: Algorithms Position".

Review of applications will start on March 21, and continue until the
positions have been filled.